: Has the UK ever experienced a supercell storm ? -

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has the UK ever experienced a supercell storm ?

#1 User is offline   diddy1 

• Group: Members

Posted --

Has the UK ever had a supercell storm ?

If so when was it ?

If anyone has any sat pictures of one I would really like to see.

#2 User is offline   Matt D 

• Group: Warnings Team
  • LocationWimbledon, London, UK

Posted --

Well, given that the term 'Supercell' was first coined by Prof Keith Browning at Uni of Reading after he observed a severe, organised storm with large hail and suspected mesocyclone across Wokingham, the answer is yes! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercell

#3 User is offline   Matt D 

Posted --

Several people on this forum have taken photographs/vid of suspected (mainly low-topped) Supercells over the years and several times in the last couple of years on hi-res radar I have seen cells displaying classic Supercell characterics, including splitting cells and subsequent left and right movers.

#4 User is offline   admin 

• Administrator
  • Group: Administrators

Posted --

Also, the Birmingham and London tornadoes would of almost certainly come from storms with a persistant mesocyclone.

#5 User is offline   Duncan Railton 

• Group: Forum Managers
  • LocationSheffield

Posted --

I would certainly agree with the above. they may have been low topped and less dramatic than the "king" supercells of the US, but we have had storms which have had persistant mesocyclones for at least 1/3rd their depth. So yes. ;)

#6 User is offline   Matt D 

Posted --

Birmingham cell almost certainly. Cell that crossed from Reading, ENE to Suffolk on 30th Dec 2006 probably did too. Not sure about that London tornado producing storm though, can't quite remember what the research showed??

#7 User is offline   diddy1 

• Group: Members

Posted --

Thanks for the responses and sorry to post a potentially stupid sounding question

I had always wondered if we (the UK) get supercells and if we get anything like what the USA have.

Are we more likely to get a supercell as an import (Spanish plume) or does the UK have enough land mass to spawn one of our own ?

#8 User is offline   Bren J 

• Group: Chasers

Posted --

They certainly have, yes, unquestionably. However, we've never been able to properly prove this (except in a couple of obvious cases) due to the lack of dopplar radar. I'm 99% certain I have experienced a supercell in Oxon back in March 2004. That produced frequent lightning, large hail and the year's most damaging tornado, together with exhibiting cloud structure and behaviour often seen in supercell storms.

Bren

#9 User is offline   PaulKn 

Posted --

The others have already answered, but yes we do get supercells. June 7 1996 was perhaps one of the more powerful ones. I observed it from a hill in SE Oxfordshire. Also, the Brum tornado was probably born from a supercell, and other storms on the same day had supercell characteristics.
Many storms in winter, with strong shear, probably contain rotating updraughts for a time, but whether they are persistent enough to be called supercells is debateable.

#10 User is offline   Chris Alder 

• Group: Moderators
  • LocationBournemouth, England

Posted --

Even the storm of 13th May 1998 that pushed through Dorset was said to of had Supercell characteristics.

#11 User is offline   Duncan Railton 

• LocationSheffield

Posted --

why can't we get a small doppler truck for the UK - or does it take a countrywide system?

#12 User is offline   Sam Jowett 

• Group: Executive
  • LocationCoalville, Leics, UK. 157m/asl

Posted --

Daventry, 22nd July 2004 was likely a supercell from a tropical airmass... more unusual than the low topped variety. The long winded investigation that I did with Stu and others ultimately suggested a strong mesocyclonic circulation on the ground, with short lived spin ups/tornadoes taking bites out of the countryside, and a damage path spanning 30 miles or so. I've got satellite imagery, radar imagery, photos, plots etc somewhere... though the whole discussion will be available again from the archive forums if we can recover them...

#13 User is offline   Anabolic North 

Posted --

I have photographed two and been in the presence of tornadic damage resulting from the tec storm (a supercell) of a squall line which caused major T5/high end EF2 damage.

http://www.ukweather...sts=150&start=1

and

http://www.ukweather...highlightmode=1

I have also photographed a number of rotating updrafts which did not persist for long enough to be classed as mesocyclones.

#14 User is offline   Chris Alder 

Posted --

Duncan Railton - 7/4/2009 15:43 why can't we get a small doppler truck for the UK - or does it take a countrywide system?

Could you imagine how difficult it would be to get the truck in position in the UK. Topography and woodland seem to cause the DOW in storm chasers serious issues in getting good reading in the US, also our absolutley grid-locked road network along with the difficultly of forecasting something that only occurs once or twice for a few tens minutes every few years would be make it almost impossbile to get a good and valid reading I would have thought?

#15 User is offline   Duncan Railton 

• LocationSheffield

Posted --

Maybe that's why we never bother with doppler radar - to expensive and too much effort

Martin's pictures of the Meso are stunning and show a well structured Supercell IMO.

#16 User is offline   scrapemedic 

• LocationWest nor'west London

Posted --

Matt D - 7/4/2009 15:15

Birmingham cell almost certainly. Cell that crossed from Reading, ENE to Suffolk on 30th Dec 2006 probably did too. Not sure about that London tornado producing storm though, can't quite remember what the research showed??
The Reding cell could well have been, I chased it back to London in the diming light and tried to get a couple of pictures of it with the phone camera. The pictures wern't too good but from memory they looked pretty huge and the deluge of rain during the storm were suggestive of a supercell event.

#17 User is offline   PaulKn 

Posted --

Duncan Railton - 7/4/2009 16:34 Maybe that's why we never bother with doppler radar - to expensive and too much effort Martin's pictures of the Meso are stunning and show a well structured Supercell IMO.

Many of the new UKMO radar sites which have gone in have Doppler capabilities - in fact some of the imagery has already shown circulations where tornadoes occurred (e.g. NW London tornado; Farnborough tornado).

#18 User is offline   Chris Alder 

Posted --

PaulKn - 7/4/2009 17:23

Duncan Railton - 7/4/2009 16:34 Maybe that's why we never bother with doppler radar - to expensive and too much effort Martin's pictures of the Meso are stunning and show a well structured Supercell IMO.

Many of the new UKMO radar sites which have gone in have Doppler capabilities - in fact some of the imagery has already shown circulations where tornadoes occurred (e.g. NW London tornado; Farnborough tornado).

Is none of this imagery available? If not would there be any plans to release it in the near future?

#19 User is offline   PaulKn 

Posted --

It's not in the public domain at the moment - I believe this is because there's quite a lot of testing, etc to do - I don't know whether there are any plans to make it so either.

#20 User is offline   admin 

• Administrator
  • Group: Administrators

Posted --

As far as I am aware, all of the UK radar sites are dopplar enabled.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users