So the trial period of September is finished ( see http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=38802&posts=55&start=1 )and I'm happy to carry on "for real" now provided free time permits with the following rules:
League will run daily from 1st October to 31st March* broken down into a monthly ranking (posted more or less daily) and a cumulative ranking (given every two weeks or so) for individual sites and nations.
Europe includes for this purpose European Russia west of Urals and Iceland but not any territories in the Arctic Ocean (e.g. Svalbard archipelago).
1) Data is taken from Ogimet rankings simply because it is an easy "one stop" resource, so bad luck to places without published Synop reports I'm afraid;
2) Only locations at altitude < 500m asl are eligible, arbitrary elevation which allows for elevated plateau but not mountainous sites;
3) Points will be awarded for the 5 lowest minima each day ( 09Z - 09Z ): 5 for coldest, then 4, then 3 then 2 then 1;
4) Points will only be awarded for a minimum below 0.0 °C, so fewer than 5 places could get points on any day;
5) In the event of a tie, the tie breaker will be lowest daily mean temp, if still equal then lowest daily max, if still equal then points are split;
6) No restrictions on number of locations by nations per day.
* I have to hope that proposed discontinuance of synop reporting ( see http://www.ukweather...osts=13&start=1 ) does not affect provision of data to Ogimet or ability to examine raw data in case of doubts...otherwise it may end on 31st October!