Project Icebox Europe 2011/12
Posted 30 November 2011 - 19:11
There are no guarantees this is all 100% accurate and error free BTW, just done to the best of my ability for fun...
Posted 01 December 2011 - 18:44
Klagenfurt am Wörthersee lol sounds like a tourism ploy (Worth a see)
Aiming at the English speakers
Day 46: For a change Iceland has the coldest two locations - very difficult to compile the 10 coldest ice days today, amazing amount of mild weather around Europe for the 30 November / 1st December. There are a few changes of position in both the location and national rankings today
Kikinda (Serbian Cyrillic: Кикинда, is a town and a municipality located in Serbia, in the autonomous province of Vojvodina. It is the administrative centre of the North Banat District. The town has 42,000 inhabitants, while the municipality has approximately 67,000 inhabitants.
The modern city was founded in 18th century. From 1774 to 1874 Kikinda was the seat of the District of Velika Kikinda, the autonomous administrative unit of Habsburg Monarchy. In 1893 Kikinda was granted the status of a town. The territory of Vojvodina became part of the Kingdom of Serbia in 1918. Kikinda used to be a very strong economic and industrial centre of Serbia and Yugoslavia up until the 1990s. Currently, the industry of Kikinda is in the middle of the transitional economic process.
In 1996, the well preserved archeological remnants of a half a million-year-old mammoth were excavated on the outer edge of the town area. The mammoth called "Kika" has become one of the symbols of the town. Today it is exhibited in the National Museum of Kikinda. Other attractions of the city are the Suvača – a unique horse-powered dry mill, the annual Pumpkin days and the International Symposium of Sculpture "Terra".
The city of Kikinda is located on a territory rich in remains of old and disappeared cultures. Numerous archeological findings are the testimony of people who lived here more than seven thousand years ago. However, the continuity of that duration was often broken. People arrived and departed, lived and disappeared, depending on various historical circumstances.
Two important medieval settlements existed near the location of modern Kikinda. Names of these settlements were Galad and Hološ. Galad was one of the oldest Slavic settlements in northern Banat and was built by Slavic duke Glad in the 9th century. In 1337, Galad was recorded as settlement populated almost exclusively by Serbs. This settlement was destroyed during Austro-Ottoman wars in the end of 17th and beginning of the 18th century.
Another settlement, Hološ (also known as Velika Holuša), was a local administrative center in the 17th century, during Ottoman administration. This settlement was also destroyed in the end of the 17th century.
According to some sources, an older settlement named Kekenj (Kekend, Keken) existed at this location. The name of Kokenyd is first found recorded in 1423 as a property of the Hungarian king Sigismund. In 1558, this settlement was populated by Serbs. It was deserted after Banat Uprising in 1594.
The history of modern Kikinda can be traced in continuation for 250 years, from 1751–1752, when the area where the city is presently located was settled. The first settlers were Serbs, a Habsburg border military corps who protected the border against the Ottomans on the Moriš and the Tisa rivers. After the Požarevac peace treaty, where an agreement between the Habsburg Monarchy and the Ottoman Empire was reached, the Ottomans lost Banat. A newly founded settlement was soon organized, and the former border military corps started a new, land farming lifestyle. Several decades later, along with the Serbs, Germans (Banat Swabians), Hungarians, and Jews settled the area.
Climate table for 1961 - 1990 thanks to http://www.hidmet.go...p?moss_id=13174
|Ave. Daily Max||1,8||5,1||11,3||17,1||22,3||25,2||27,2||27,0||23,6||17,7||9,7||3,8||16,0|
|Ave. Daily Min||-4,7||-2,3||1,2||5,9||10,6||13,6||14,6||14,2||11,0||6,1||2,0||-1,9||5,9|
|HOURS OF SUNSHINE|
|Max. In One Day||21,2||30,4||23,0||38,5||59,0||61,4||56,2||74,7||35,9||30,0||46,3||22,9||74,7|
|Ave. Days >= 0.1 mm||11,6||11,2||11,1||11,8||11,7||12,8||9,4||8,8||7,6||7,2||12,1||13,1||128,4|
Posted 02 December 2011 - 18:37
Leskovac in Serbia is the most southerly location so far to win points for an ice day
Bit of trivia about Eyrarbakki in Iceland: In 985 C.E., Bjarni Herjólfsson, a young merchant, sailed from Eyrarbakki headed for Greenland, but instead reached as far as North America. Upon his arrival in Greenland, Bjarni told Leif Eriksson of his discovery and sold him his boat, which Eriksson used for his own journey to North America.
Békéscsaba: The name of the city comes from the word "Békés", which means "peaceful" in Hungarian, and "Csaba", a popular Hungarian male given name of Turkish origin.
Posted 03 December 2011 - 18:42
Posted 04 December 2011 - 18:39
Grímsstaðir is a settlement in north-east Iceland whose main claim to fame is that its weather station holds the low-temperature record for Iceland: no doubt due to its sheltered location (at altitude of about 400 metres) between two areas of highland (800 metres or more).
It is situated just off Route 1 (the main ring road around the island), where it crosses the large river Jökulsá á Fjöllum, about 37 km or 23 miles east of Lake Mývatn. The river was bridged in 1947: before that, traffic between north and east Iceland had to use a ferry.
Currently the settlement has some accommodation for tourists. It also has an airstrip, in common with many isolated rural settlements in Iceland. It is a recognised stop on the bus route between Akureyri and Egilsstaðir (up to one bus per day in summer) although it is only during summer that the buses venture off the main road to the settlement itself.
A Chinese business tycoon is hoping to buy a large area of north-east Iceland to build a luxury hotel and eco-resort.
Huang Nubo is reported to have offered a billion krona (£5.4m: $8.8m) for the 300sq km (155 sq mile) Grimsstadir a Fjollum region.
Critics of the plan fear it could be used by China to gain a strategic foothold in Iceland.
But Icelandic officials have welcomed the purchase and the further 20bn krona Mr Huang says he intends to invest.
This offer was subsequently rejected by Iceland's Ministry of the Interior in November BTW.
Posted 05 December 2011 - 18:57
Still, as relatively mild conditions persist in northern Europe we have a new nation entering the scoring. Technically the Faroe Islands are part of Denmark but I will include them in their own right as they are isolated in the Atlantic. The cold must have spread down from Iceland which picks up another good batch of points to bridge the gap to the 4 nations above it in the national rankings. Grímsstaðir and Orenburg move up in the location rankings.
Tórshavn (Danish: Thorshavn) is the capital and largest town of the Faroe Islands. It is located in the southern part on the east coast of Streymoy. To the north west of the town lies the 347-metre (1,138 ft) high mountain Húsareyn, and to the southwest, the 350-metre (1,150 ft) high Kirkjubøreyn. The city proper has a population of 13,000 (2008), and the greater urban area a population of 19,000.
Tórshavn is the capital of the Faroe Islands, and as such is the seat of the Faroes’ home rule government. The government holds the executive power in local government affairs. Today the government is located on the Tinganes peninsula of Tórshavn. The parliament, the Løgting, which was originally located on Tinganes, was relocated to the town square in 1856.
The Vikings established their parliament on the Tinganes peninsula in 850 CE, thus Tórshavn was made capital of Faroe Islands and has remained so ever since. All through the Middle Ages the narrow peninsula jutting out into the sea made up the main part of Tórshavn. Sources do not mention a built-up area in Tórshavn until after the Protestant Reformation in 1539. Early on, Tórshavn became the center of the monopoly trade, thereby being the only legal place for the islanders to sell and buy goods. In 1856, the trade monopoly was abolished and the islands were left open to free trade. The town has grown rapidly ever since the turn of the 20th century into the undisputed administrative, economic and cultural center of the Faroes.
According to the earliest source to the Faroe Islands, Færeyinga Saga, emigrants who left Norway to escape the tyranny of Harald I of Norway settled in the islands about the end of the 9th century. The Viking settlers established their own parliament called ting. Local tings where established in different parts of the islands. The main ting was established on Tinganes in Tórshavn 825. Tinganes is the peninsula that divides the harbour into the two parts Eystaravág and Vestaravág. Færeyinga Saga says: "the ting stead of the Faroese was on Streymoy, and there is the harbour that is called Tórshavn". In the Viking Age it was a tradition to hold the ting at a neutral and thus uninhabited place, so nobody had an advantage of the location. In fact, there was no settlement at Tinganes to that time, but it was the most central place of the islands. The Vikings would meet on the flat rocks of Tinganes every summer. The Viking age eventually ended in 1035. The ting was followed by a market which gradually grew into a permanent trading area.
All through the Middle Ages, the narrow peninsula jutting out into the sea made up the main part of Tórshavn. It belonged to the outfield of two farmers. Although, unlike the rest of the Faroese villages, Tórshavn was never a distinct farming community. In 1271, a royal trade monopoly was established in Tórshavn by the Norwegian Crown. During the 12th century, all trade between Norway and the Faroes, along with other tributary islands to the west, became centralised in Bergen. According to a document from 1271, two ships would sail regularly to Tórshavn from Bergen with cargoes of salt, timber and cereal. Tórshavn therefore had more contact with the outside world than the other villages. Under the Norwegian and then later Danish rule, the government officials made Tórshavn their home. All of these things put together with the fact that Tórshavn was the thingstead of the islands influenced the town’s development in a different direction.
Sources do not mention a built-up area in Tórshavn until after the Protestant reformation in 1539. When pirate attacks became quite frequent in the Faroes it became a priority to protect the town and its trade. In ca. 1580 a small fort, Skansin, was built by the Faroese naval hero and trader Magnus Heinason at the north end of the harbour. Later small fortifications were built at Tinganes.
The British occupation of the Faroe Islands in World War II, also known as "Operation Valentine," was implemented immediately following the German invasion of Denmark and Norway. In April 1940, the United Kingdom occupied the strategically important Faroe Islands to pre-empt a German invasion. British troops left shortly after the end of the war.
Faroese (føroyskt), is an Insular Nordic language spoken by 48,000 people in the Faroe Islands and about 25,000 Faroese people in Denmark and elsewhere. It is one of four languages descended from the Old West Norse language spoken in the Middle Ages, the others being Icelandic, Norwegian and the extinct Norn, which is thought to have been mutually intelligible with Faroese. Faroese and Icelandic, its closest extant relative, are not mutually intelligible in speech, but the written languages resemble each other quite closely.
Due to the proximity to the Gulf Stream, Tórshavn features a well-moderated subpolar oceanic climate (Cfc), with chilly summers, and mild winters with temperatures usually not below freezing. The climate can be very unpleasant, however, owing to the persistent strong winds and extreme lack of sunshine. Tórshavn is the gloomiest place in the world with significant sunshine records at only about 2.4 hours of sunshine per day; however no data whatsoever exist for places such as the Aleutian Islands or southern Chile which may have even less sun.
|Climate data for Tórshavn|
|Average high °C (°F)||6|
|Average low °C (°F)||2|
|Precipitation mm (inches)||149|
|Avg. precipitation days||25||22||23||22||16||16||18||20||21||24||24||26||257|
Thorshavn is also home to Gudrun & Gudrun, now famous for making that sweater
This post has been edited by Big Dave's Gusset: 05 December 2011 - 19:01
Posted 06 December 2011 - 18:54
At last December sees a minimum of -20 °C and as a result Grímsstaðir moves up to third in the locations ranking. Also Iceland continues to catch up with Finland in the nation's rankings after another not very cold day in the land of the 1 000 Lakes Rally. Amazingly the lowest minimum for Russia in Europe was just -9.4 °C at Amderma, a temperature well above what many locations have as an average maximum for December.
Posted 07 December 2011 - 18:42
Just the daily scores table today, will do the whole lot every other day perhaps.
Posted 08 December 2011 - 18:48
Posted 09 December 2011 - 18:43
Posted 09 December 2011 - 19:33
LOL, Im still watching! Regarding the 5th Tyndrum had an Ice day with a max of -0.4C, pity it isn`t a synop station though
Posted 10 December 2011 - 18:41
Day 55: Just the table of daily scores again today, full roundup tomorrow. Sweden again becoming much less cold overnight but still managing to get the two scorers in. Iceland still doing rather well this month. In a hurry, oven timer is beeping - mustn't let my pizza get burnt...
Posted 11 December 2011 - 19:30
Posted 12 December 2011 - 18:45
Stropkov (Yiddish: סטראפקאוו, Hebrew: סטרופקוב, Hungarian: Sztropkó) is a town in Stropkov District, Prešov Region, Slovakia.
Stropkov is an economical, social and cultural centre of north Zemplín. It was established on left bank of river Ondava in beautiful scenery of central part in Ondava uplands. For its origins as an ancient Slovak settlement we have to look back (and many archaeologists and historians agree in this case) before the 13th century. The character of the main square is a proof that Stropkov used to belong to the royal lands and there are also some similarities with the development of another town, called Bardejov.
First authentic written data about the town is from 1404 (Stropko), when Stropkov was already labeled as oppidum—townlet. German guests and soltys too were obtained with the same privileges as their fellows in Bardejov and other towns. The first owner of the town after the king was Ladislav Svatojursky. The other landlords in order were Balickovci, Perinskovci, Peteovci. In 1408 town's toll and castle—castellum—were mentioned for the first time. The development of the town and its whole economic expansion was supported by the law of thirty and market in 1698 which was strengthened by Leopold I[disambiguation needed ] with six annual fairs. Stropkov's manor owned about 51 villages in that time. The existence of a big department, which articles dated back in 1575 was an extraordinary event in the history of Slovakia. In this department many different people were united, for example: jewelers, tailors, butchers, cabinetmakers, saddlers, swordfishes, surgeons (shavers) and shopkeepers. Craftsmen from Stropkov were known not only in their hometown, they were selling their products in markets of towns in regions like Zemplin and Šariš as well.
In the process of successful development, Stropkov was touched by status’ rebellions of Imrich Thokoly and Francis II Rákóczi. We can easily deduct this fact from region list from year 1715, where it is written that in Stropkov in that times lived only 7 bourgeoises who did pay taxes. In 1764 Peteovci family died out, manor was divided into 6 parts, including Staraiovci, Hallerovci, Keglevicovci, Dezofiovci, Veceiovci and Barkociovci. In 1785 about 204 houses and 1326 inhabitants were to found in the town. Stropkov was the third town with the most numbers of residents in the Zemplin region with 87 craftsmen (year 1778) and it was the second important craftsman centre after Humenné town. In that period it became a residence of Zemplin chair. This situation lasted in next few years: 1848, 1918 and 1945, up until 1960. Since 18th century the town started to decay. In 1828 there were 201 houses and 2250 inhabitants. Many other numbers speak about the evident stagnation: in 1869 used to live there 2502 inhabitants while in 1900 only 2276. After 1870 we can speak about mass emigration of native people who were moving abroad.
During the time between wars Stropkov and its district belonged to one of the most underdeveloped and poorest regions in Slovakia. Besides agriculture, the living was earned by traditional craft industry and works in woods. In the years of the Second World War economical decline was fully in progress. Only 487 houses with 3311 inhabitants were filling the territory of Stropkov during the wartime. Besides the complicated after war situation it is visible that the construction of Tesla factory and many other firms have had an important contribution to essential changes in demography and in infrastructure. When only 2695 people in 1950 lived in town, in 1991 there were already 9719 people to be found.
The first written information about the school is from 1515, but indisputably the school was there a little bit sooner—in the previous century. In 17th century Franciscans came to the town and in 1921 the first redemptorist cloister was founded.
The remains of the castle are situated in the storied building that occupies the east side of the church. Roman Catholic church, called The Holy Body of Jesus Christ, comes from 14th century. In 1675 it was restored and supplemented with a Gothic castle chapel. The inside Baroque decoration is from 18th century. Uniate cathedral was built in 1947, Jewish synagogues have not been preserved.
Posted 13 December 2011 - 18:51
The set of three tables today plus a summary of the lowest minima recorded by each of the five leading nations.
Posted 14 December 2011 - 18:41
This post has been edited by Big Dave's Gusset: 14 December 2011 - 18:42
Posted 15 December 2011 - 18:42
Posted 16 December 2011 - 18:30
Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:10