• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Nice Warm S/E England Should Pay Wales For Water

#21 Guest_Chris Lloyd_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 20:15

View PostStephenS, on 22 February 2012 - 03:45, said:

... but not for those of us without mains drainage! Our water bill is less than £12 a month, though I won't feel quite so smug about that if the cesspit ever fails.

We can joke (or not joke) about the Welsh story as much as we like, but there are two serious issues here. First, we've been several times round the Wrekin when it comes to a national water grid, and I've no doubt it will all be forgotten when the heavens open in the SE, as they surely will - only to be resurrected again in another 40 years' time, or whenever. Second, devolution/independence will throw up so many questions about who pays for what that I suspect that everyone, for and agin, will wish they'd never gone there in the first place.

Surface water drainage is an important factor - many people pay for surface drainage when it isn't drained at all. Many people have soak away's or drives that don't drain to the main sewer. If they go onto a water meter, all these costs are taken off the bill and you end up paying very little.

People are paying default payments when they don't need to.

#22 Guest_Chris Lloyd_*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 20:18

View PostChris Alder, on 22 February 2012 - 12:32, said:

This thread has really got my back up, especially the intial story, if the Welsh want to charge for water - let them I say. Maybe they should also consider self funding through Welsh domiciled taxpayers the huge average per person benefit payouts their civilians recieve compared to those in the south east?

Its all swings and roundabouts! People always seem happy to bite the hand that feeds them when it suits them.....

So what next Chris - Are you going to start talking about free prescriptions in Wales, or perhaps Mr Salmond wishing for devolution in Scotland. Perhaps you should move there if the grass is greener?

#23 Guest_Chris Lloyd_*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 20:21

View PostUskys, on 22 February 2012 - 13:35, said:

Water should never have been made a commercial product in the UK - I can see how dwr cymru & severn trent could charge water companies in the east but not how Wales can charge!
A link from the Severn to the Thames has been talked of in the past apart from pipelines.

The problem Andy is all the leaks. Severn Trent have made huge profits on water but have absolutely no intention in fixing all those Victorian sewer's that bleed more water than gets used.

Remnds me of the banking system - steal as much money as you can without any contigency plan whatsoever for the future. ;)

The water supply of the UK has more leaks than an 18 year old out on a binge on a friday night.

#24 Guest_Chris Lloyd_*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 20:24

View PostJohn Mason, on 22 February 2012 - 15:06, said:

Funny - quite a few of the comments following my Guardian piece were along the lines of "well up here in Scotland we the people still own our water so if you want it you'll have to pay for it!"

In Wales this is still a very emotive topic. There is a lot of resent as to valley communities uprooted and flooded to supply water to the English. It is a Very Bad Idea Indeed to make jokes about Tryweryn (Llyn Celyn) in a pub in Bala on a Saturday night - and rightly so IMO - this was a bit like the Highland Clearances except that it didn't happen that long ago.

Here's a link that explains what happened: http://www.llgc.org....ryn/index-e.htm

Cheers - John

This featured on Insight Out (midlands version) a few weeks ago. A very sad story that just goes to show the lengths the water companies went to to supply water to the rest of UK.

A compulsory order related to water production wouldn't figure in today's world where they are made for high speed rail links.

#25 User is offline   Uskys 

• Group: Forum Managers
  • LocationBrecon Beacons, 330m ASL

Posted 22 February 2012 - 20:25

View PostChris Lloyd, on 22 February 2012 - 20:12, said:

Need to get yourself a water meter Ian. Our annual bill for water is about 240 pounds. :)

If you pay rates, which I am guessing you do by the bill, you can't blame the system when cheaper water is available.

Actually, if Ian isn't on a meter I'll be amazed... An elderly relation was not on a meter and was paying £1,300 a year in water rates to SW water. going to a meter reduced it to nearly £500... but that is still way OTT.

#26 Guest_Chris Lloyd_*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 20:27

View PostAndy Mayhew, on 22 February 2012 - 17:30, said:

Thinking about it, anyone know where I can lay my hands on a 500 mile long hosepipe? I could run it up to Essan and get limitless free water down here - and it tastes a lot better too! :D

I'd cut the pipe off at the border so that Alex Salmond has a thirsty night. :lol:

#27 Guest_Chris Lloyd_*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 20:29

View PostUskys, on 22 February 2012 - 20:25, said:

Actually, if Ian isn't on a meter I'll be amazed... An elderly relation was not on a meter and was paying £1,300 a year in water rates to SW water. going to a meter reduced it to nearly £500... but that is still way OTT.

Suppose it depends how much you use. We have our drainage taken off as we have a soak away to the rear and a downward sloping drive that does not drain into the sewer. In my old house in 2006 (mid terrace 1 bed) we had a meter and our water bill was around 60 pounds for 6 months :o

#28 Guest_Chris Lloyd_*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 20:33

View Postscrapemedic, on 22 February 2012 - 17:42, said:

Maybe the welsh should pay God for supplying it in the first place, or if your atheist, the people of the SE for sweating it back up into the atmosphere. Bottom line, if the idea came from Boris Johnson in the first place....end of story right there. The man is an idiot.
What he really should be doing is sorting out the abomination of front gardens round here that only serve to encourage the rainwater to run off into the sewer and hence the rivers rather than into the ground water. Not to mention the back gardens that have been turns into granny flats, mostly illegally. They might look better too rather than the concrete that is presently in vogue. But god forbid he tells Londoners what they should be doing rather than coming up with hair-brained ideas that let them off the hook of responsibility.
The term concrete jungle was once the domain of the inner cities, but you could easily apply it to the suburbs now too.

Blimey Liz - what next, being charged for the air we breathe. No jokes about people with big nose's I promise.

There are many utilities that should not be commercial, including electricity and gas. But this is our world today. If there is anything out there upon which a profit can be made - it will be. :(

#29 User is offline   P.K. 

• LocationWatford

Posted 22 February 2012 - 21:49

So can we pipe some of the heat back to Wales in the summer then in exchange? :lol: I hate how hot it can get here in the summer.

#30 User is offline   Chris Alder 

• Group: Moderators
  • LocationBournemouth, England

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:04

View PostChris Lloyd, on 22 February 2012 - 20:18, said:

So what next Chris - Are you going to start talking about free prescriptions in Wales, or perhaps Mr Salmond wishing for devolution in Scotland. Perhaps you should move there if the grass is greener?

I'm quite happy in little old Bournemouth, the best thing for england would be for us to completely cut all ties with Scotland, Wales and Ireland! I'd be much better off ;)

#31 User is offline   scrapemedic 

• LocationWest nor'west London

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:11

Water is free, its the treating it, storing it and pumping it around that costs; now if you could collect it store it and treat it you wouldn't need a supply. But then you would still have to pay for your sewage to be taken away. So, should the welsh charge for their water? Only if they are paying for the lecky bill to get it to my flat.

#32 User is offline   Uskys 

• LocationBrecon Beacons, 330m ASL

Posted 22 February 2012 - 22:18

View PostChris Alder, on 22 February 2012 - 22:04, said:

I'm quite happy in little old Bournemouth, the best thing for england would be for us to completely cut all ties with Scotland, Wales and Ireland! I'd be much better off ;)

GDP =

Wales (PPP): €22,567

England (PPP) €26,904

So you'd be much better off Chris?

#33 User is offline   Nigel Bolton 

• Group: Synoptic Discussion
  • LocationTiverton Devon

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:22

View PostChris Lloyd, on 22 February 2012 - 20:12, said:

Need to get yourself a water meter Ian. Our annual bill for water is about 240 pounds. :)

If you pay rates, which I am guessing you do by the bill, you can't blame the system when cheaper water is available.

SW Water is bloody expensive. One, we have to pay to keep our beaches uber clean, so that holiday makers in the summer don't find themselves floating between the turds whilst taking a dip in the oggin. Unlike all other parts of the UK, we have a coast on both sides, and this makes it doubly expensive.

Also, because of double coasts, we also get the lion's share of holiday makers, and the water infrastructure has to deal with a massive upsurge of water usage durng the holiday periods, thus the building and maintainance of extra reservoirs.

I am on a meter, and my bills are huge, but I pay less than per the rates. I also have a policy of capturing rain water, which I think at going prices, saves me between £50 and £100 a year.

N.

#34 User is offline   mrfizz 

• Group: Frouks
  • LocationHome: West Bromwich. Work: Coventry

Posted 24 February 2012 - 13:59

Oi! Hands off my Welsh water Boris. I need it to wash my fleet of cars 4 times a week, bath my 8 children and 17 Staffordshire Bull Terriers every day, boil-wash my y-fronts, refill my olympic size swimming pool and water my 10 acres of mock rainforest (save the planet).

Blummin cheek of it. Pinching someone elses water to serve an overgrown Metropolis. Why don't you drain those Marshes in the Thames Estuary to cover the temporary shortage, then Boris can build his airport. Everyones a winner, guvnor. [y]

#35 User is offline   John Mason 

• Group: Warnings Team Managers
  • LocationMachynlleth, Mid-Wales

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:41

View PostP.K., on 22 February 2012 - 21:49, said:

So can we pipe some of the heat back to Wales in the summer then in exchange? :lol: I hate how hot it can get here in the summer.

By all means! Plus some of the imported thunderstorms that the SE seems to get in more than its fair share!

Cheers - John

#36 Guest_Chris Lloyd_*

Posted 24 February 2012 - 15:02

And they can drop some of the snow off on the way.

#37 User is offline   Bluebreezer54 

• Group: Frouks
  • LocationNorthwood. NW London

Posted 24 February 2012 - 15:15

View PostJohn Mason, on 24 February 2012 - 14:41, said:

By all means! Plus some of the imported thunderstorms that the SE seems to get in more than its fair share!

Cheers - John

Crikey John....now I know you are having a laugh. The South East is amongst the most thunderstorm starved areas of the country in the last few years. We had just one import last year that I can recall ( June 28/29th seems to ring a bell ), apart from that its been dire. We rarely even get home growns these days.

From the reports Ive seen the North East of England was Thunderstorm Alley last year. The South East was a wasteland !!

#38 User is offline   Chris Alder 

• Group: Moderators
  • LocationBournemouth, England

Posted 24 February 2012 - 15:54

Maybe water should be taken from Essex? I always seem to remember Village saying it was as wet as a rainforest down there :) lol!!!

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users