German made, this new model seems to be almost unknown in the UK although available from Skyview and Amazon (through 3rd party) but had some good reviews from German users, so I bought one from Skyview and it arrived today after I ordered it on Saturday. I shall give it my own review here for general interest.
The base unit doesn't come with an external sensor so one or more has to be bought separately to use outdoors. It is on the expensive side I suppose for a thermometer/humidity station but the selling point is the incorporated datalogger from which data can be downloaded to a PC.
Base Unit: approx £75
External Sensor: approx £19 each
The external sensor measures from -40 to +50 °C so should cope with our conditions! It transmits readings every 10 seconds with a range of 100m. It does need to be in a screen ideally as it has no shielding and needs to be protected from rain and direct sunlight.
Recording intervals can be set at 1, 5, 10, 15, 30 minutes or 1, 2, 3, 6 hours. So recording every 1 minute would give you 34 days worth of data before a download was required. Or once every hour would give you well over 5 years of data before the data would need downloading. Free weather software is included allowing you to view the information in various formats on your pc as well as the ability to export it as a CSV file for use within EXCEL.
The KLIMALOGG can receive up to 8 wireless sensors; each transmitter can be labelled with it's own unique name in the software making it easy to identify and compare records. Sensors are weather proof so they can be mounted In or Outside and transmit up to 100 meters.
Extemely quick and simple. Firstly the supplied batteries go into the external sensor, which has a small LCD display so that you can see it is working properly, it starts transmitting data straightaway so the next step is to set up the base station (batteries again supplied). I did this quickly enough that the base station "learned" the transmitter and allocated Channel 1 without any more need to delve into the set-up, but if you delay too long before setting up the base station after the external sensor then the set-up to enter "learning" mode looks easy enough. The small instruction booklet is clearer than many I have seen though still quirky as they usually when translated to English.
After a few minutes the unit hadn't picked up the radio controlled time/date signal so I set these manually - easy enough and it was already pre-set to GMT. In the event, it synchronised with the radio control within half an hour anyway with daylight savings correctly applied ( time zone adjustment is possible in any case ).
So, the external sensor is now in the screen outside about 50ft from the base unit with a wall in the way and the base unit is receiving it quite happily with frequent updates to the readings that certainly seem to confirm the 10 second intervals (there is a little icon on the display that shows when data is received).
Alles gut so far then and the next thing to test is the datalogging software and USB transceiver, which I will report on in the next post.